You may notice that many themes these days have an image for the blog name instead of just having wordpress use the title of your blog. This tutorial will walk you through creating a new header image without using photoshop.
Step 1. Identify the size of your logo image.
When you upload your theme you’ll generally find the blog name image is called “logo.png”. The first step in this process is to find out what size that image file is so you can create a new one that will fit the space exactly.
To do this right click on the image that is there. You’ll see many options, choose to “view image info” or something similar. This will open a new window where you can get the information about what size the header image is.
As you can see the size of this image is 410 x 54.
Step 2. Create a New Image
I use a free program called Instant Banner Creator for this step. Let’s walk through the steps to creating this new image logo.
1. Log in to instant banner creator.
2. Choose create new graphics.
3. Choose Create a new banner
4. Choose DIY banner
5. Input the size of the image you want (the number we found in the last step)
6. If you want the header background color to come through click transparent.
7. click use background.
8. Follow these steps to actually create your banner.
3. Download your banner.
Find your new banner amongst the banners you’ve created and click the download button. This will move it to your computer. Make sure you rename it something that makes sense to you in the downloading process.
4. Upload your new banner to your server.
- Open your ftp client (I use fireftp) and then open the folder for your specific site.
- connect to your server.
- find the folder for the site you’re working on.
- when the folder is open click wp-content –> themes –> the theme you’re working on –> images.
- find the logo image you just downloaded on the left hand side of your ftp client.
- change the name of the image to the same name the logo in your theme has.
You can look at the image by right clicking and choosing view ~ to see if it’s the right one.
- Move the newly renamed logo you created to the right side of your ftp. (click on it once to highlight it, then click the arrow button of the direction you want to move it)
- it will ask if you want to overwrite, choose overwrite.
5. Check out your new logo.
Go back to your site to see your new logo. (you’ll have to refresh the page)
Now you know how to create a new logo image for your site. If you have any questions please feel free to ask in the comments section and I’ll do my best to answer. Just remember I’m not a graphics person.