There’s been quite a bit of talk about how to cloak your affiliate links lately. There are a few different ways to cloak your links. Here are three of the most popular.
1. the simple link cloaker plugin (which people seem to be having issues with)
3. Create subdomains to redirect.
I’ve covered the first two so today I’m going to show you how to create subdomains to use to redirect your affiliate links.
What you’ll need:
- hosting account that allows for subdomains (most do ~ I use hostgator)
- your affiliate link
How to create a subdomain:
1. Go to your hosting account, log in to cpanel and find the subdomain link.
2. think of a word or short phrase that is related to your product and fill it in the subdomain space provided.
ex. Yesterday I came across someone who is giving away all his current premium themes. They are pretty nice. He is getting to roll out a whole new series of themes and has an affiliate program. You can give these free lenses away, and then if anyone buys one of his new themes you’ll get a commission. So I’m going to use that affiliate link in this example.
I would pick “premiumthemes” to use for the phrase in my subdomain.
** If you have more than one add on domain in your account make sure you scroll through the drop down menu and choose the domain name you want the subdomain to be on. For this one I’m using internetmarketingformommies.com **
3. Click create (it might take a couple seconds)
4. Click “go back”.
Your subdomain has been created, now we’re going to redirect it to point at our affiliate page.
How to Redirect Your Subdomain:
1. Find your newly created subdomain from the list.
If you have created a lot of subdomains you’ll have to look through the list to find the new one. They are generally in alphabetical order. On hostgator there is a button you can click to show up to 500 subdomains on one page so you don’t have to scroll through page to page, you can just scroll down one page to find it.
2. Click manage redirect for your new subdomain (it will say “not redirected” at this point)
3. Add your affliate link in the redirection space provided.
4. Click save.
How to Use Your New Redirected Subdomain:
When you want to link to your product (in wordpress) you just highlight the words you want for your anchor text and then use the full url of your new redirect.
You can use your redirect url anywhere ~ on free ad blogs, or blogger blogs or on Squidoo lenses. One place you can’t use them is EZA ~ they are not considered a top level domain. But these redirects make it really easy to cloak your affiliate link and you don’t have to remember your big clunky affiliate link.
How to create a subdomain redirect video:
If you have any further questions about creating or using subdomain redirects feel free to ask in the comments section.